What does an Enterprise Architect do?
We asked our colleague Peter Celens how his typical day looks like.
- The role of an INNOCOM EA is to help our clients translate and implement their strategy. This is done by establishing a digital strategy and roadmap that enables our clients’ portfolios to support current and future business capabilities. Furthermore, they apply architectural processes and techniques across our clients’ organisations.
- He/she leads the development of a single holistic enterprise architecture model for the whole of the organization, from all architecture perspectives (Business Services, Business Processes, Information, Applications and Technology).
- An INNOCOM EA ensures the Enterprise Architecture is continuously aligned to the Business Strategy, Business Operating Model and IT strategy, and satisfies all enterprise architecture requirements.
- He/she manages change in business, via a focus on business value/business outcomes and stakeholder alignment, enabling them with effective decision making, whilst reducing complexity
- He/she strives for common understanding and shared commitment through effective communication amongst stakeholders.
- An INNOCOM EA supports the performance of the transformation process by continuously gaining fit-for-purpose insights into the current and future state of the enterprise, delivering roadmaps and alternatives to make transitions.
- Excellent oral and written English, Dutch and/or French communication skills.
- At least 5 years’ experience with enterprise architecture within a corporate environment.
- Ideally coming from a technology architecture background (application/integration/data/ infrastructure/security)
- Thorough knowledge of enterprise architecture and its sub-disciplines: business architecture, information architecture, application architecture, infrastructure architecture…
- Excellent understanding of architecture/design patterns.
- Good knowledge of enterprise architecture frameworks (Togaf, Zachman,…), methods and tools. Certification is an asset.
- Affinity with agile practices.
- Open & honest, highly energetic and intrinsically motivated.
- A fast learner, able to absorb new skills and quickly adapt to new contexts
- Capable to build trusted relationships with senior management.
- Extremely customer-focused, able to adapt quickly to new environments, connect easily with people and context.
- A conceptual, creative and critical thinker.
- Passionate about change and eager to push it forward while managing expectations.
- A natural communicator, able to explain complex topics in understandable language to different stakeholders (ability to communicate complex technical issues to non-technical stakeholders)
- Able to create impact
- A team player